During February 2011 I was responsible for working on a campaign for the Theatrical release of Big Mommas House 3. The campaign was part of a week long advertising take over of the national UK newspaper The-Sun.co.uk ‘s website and a Facebook tab to complement the rest of the marketing surrounding the film.
The lovely design came courtesy of LetsBrock who I greatly enjoy collaborating with.
During development I had the joy of working again with a certain mr Robert Turrall who developed a PureMVC framework to handle the nuts and bolts of putting the project together. I am a fan of PureMVC myself and I do prefer to work with a framework you are familiar with.
I was responsible for creating the image manipulation and webcam camera. To create the image manipulation I initially looked at some facial recognition software but the Actionscript libraries I could find would only recognise Caucasian skin which is a massive problem. Therefore we made use of a overlay guide to aid the positioning of the face within the frame, and did away with detecting a face directly. Adding this detection functionality would greatly improve the quality of the affect applied as it would be easier to tailor the affect to each users face shape and size.
To achieve the affect I created a grid of points over a bitmap, and then used trigonometry to plot several ‘explosions’ on the grid which would disperse these points away from the center of their affect. Each point is linked to an area of the bitmap which becomes distorted as the points move around. This is a similar concept to the technique of displacement mapping and the strength of the affect applied can be adjusted to suit the users needs. This little swf below demonstrates the force by applying it to blocks outside of the circle. The force needs to be applied outside of the circle so that it affects the outside of the face and not the inside. To affect the inside of the face would ruin features such as the eyes, nose and mouth.
Finally like most of the projects I work on at Substance the final SWF was deployed to multiple languages and territories. We used XML to enable us to change important details such as the release date of the movie, text and imagery within the application without having to recompile.
I hope you like the application, please check out Big Mommafied on Facebook!